The Sally Kalson
From The Newspaper Guild of Pittsburgh
The Newspaper Guild of Pittsburgh Local 38061 is offering two $2,500 scholarships in memory of our late vice president, columnist Sally Kalson, to undergraduates who plan careers in print journalism as reporters, copy editors, photographers, paginators or graphics designers.
- One-page, typed, personal statement outlining background and professional goals in journalism.
- 2 published, single byline examples of your work, including newspapers, online stories, clippings, photographs, paginaton/layout, graphics or artwork.
- For convenience in judging, online work must be provided in a printout of the web page, complete with web address and date of publication.
- Most recent college transcript
- Letter of recommendation from journalism or graphics arts professor
You must have completed at least three semesters and have at least one full semester to complete.
You must be from Allegheny, Beaver, Butler, Fayette, Greene, Washington or Westmoreland counties or attend a college or university in those counties.
Download an application from: pghguild.com
Hurry! Applications must be received by April 21, 2017
Download the scholarship application form (right-click “Save as”).
Past scholarship winners
1996 Kathleen Scanlon and Beth Trapani
1997 Alex Lewin and Connie Mabin
1998 Rebecca Riddle and Stephanie Huszar
1999 Susan Seibel
2000 Jonathan Evans and Matthew Monaghan
2001 Elizabeth Bowen and April Johnston
2002 Jasmine Gehris and Alison Kepner
2003 Leslie Hoffman and Erin Pearson
2004 Amy Difiore and Megan Duncan
2005 Lauren L. Hough and Emily E. Leone
2006 Christina Marie Praskovich and Sarah Vaccarelli
2007 Brittany McCandless and Sarah Kaufman
2008 Rebecca Mack and Margaret J. Krauss
2009 Elyssa Goodman and Rossilynne Skena
2010 Jennifer Rizzi and Estelle S. Tran
2011 Dante Fuoco and Faith Cotter
2012 Carrie Blazina and Richelle Szypulski
2013 Jessica Tully and Josh Axelrod
2014 Nicholas Buzzelli and Connor Mulvaney
2015 Kathleen Fennell and Leah Fleischel
2016 Kimberly Baston and Delaney Hassell